Hi, welcome to His Dark Materials! Thanks for your edit to the John Parry/Stanislaus Grumman page.
If you need help, and there are no local admins here, you may want to visit the forums on the Community Central Wiki. Looking for live help? Then join us for an upcoming webinar to chat with staff and other Wikia editors. You can also check our Staff blog to keep up-to-date with the latest news and events around Wikia.
Blog post Edit
Admin rights Edit
Hello, again. If you're still interested in being an admin on this wiki, please let me know. Although, I would like to ask how you plan to help out this wiki (aside from just adding interwiki links). --Rowan Salazar⁂Talk 00:07, July 12, 2012 (UTC)
- Hi Rowan! I don't think I have the time to commit to moderating a third wiki, especially now that I'm very busy on it.harrypotter because Pottermore has just released the beginning of Chamber of Secrets and Goblet of Fire has just been re-translated. Thank you for your kind offer though and congratulations on becoming the new bureaucrat here! - Amyosaurus 07:26, July 12, 2012 (UTC)
Admin rights and pt-br:Lyra Belacqua Edit
Have you by any chance reconsidered being an admin here? At present I am the only active one...
Also, I've just looked at the Italian and Brazilian-Portuguese pages for Lyra Silvertongue (because I needed their names for an edit to the HDM page on TV Tropes), and I noticed that the latter begins:
I don't know Portuguese, but it looks to me as if "principal protagonista" translates as "main protagonist". If it does, it's wrong; "protagonist" is Greek for "first character", thus already means "main" without the adjective. Perhaps this needs to be corrected? — RobertATfm (talk) 00:38, July 1, 2013 (UTC)
- Hey! Actually, I had thought about it and I would like to be an admin. :)
- And yes, you're right. I don't speak Portuguese either but I will change that. - Amyosaurus 08:59, July 1, 2013 (UTC)
I see you have enabled Achievements. To my mind this is a bad move; this "feature" is supposed to encourage editing, but in my experience it mostly encourages vandal editing, or trivial editing for the sake of racking up the points. For both of these reasons, it has been disabled (or never enabled) on nearly all the wikis I am involved in.
- Actually, that was a mistake! I've turned it back off again. I was just looking at the features and must have clicked it by accident. Sorry about that! - Amyosaurus 22:02, September 11, 2013 (UTC)
My edit to the GOB page Edit
Oops, I should have realised that "vaporise" is one of those awkward words that follow the original Latin rather than the French. Another one which used to trip me up was that one adjective form of "honour" is "honorary" (though I believe another is "honourable"). Although (and the OED site you gave confirms this) both the "-ise" and the "-ize" endings are acceptable in British English; it's only American English which insists on "-ize". — RobertATfm (talk) 02:03, October 19, 2013 (UTC)
- Vaporise is a horrible word. I worked as an English teacher in Rome last year and had to listen to no end of students who were exasperated by English spelling. I told them that they shouldn't worry that they find it difficult because even natives can't spell words some times. It's such a bizarre concept for someone who speaks Italian as a native language, because every letter (except 'e' and 'o') has one sound so spelling is never a problem; if you can pronounce a word properly, you can also spell it. - Amyosaurus 08:53, October 19, 2013 (UTC)
My name is Ariana- I'm on the Community team over here at Wikia. I'm reaching out today to see if it's okay if we set up a "Parent Page" on the His Dark Materials Wiki. Also, if you are okay with it, do you and the other admins have any interest in helping us fill it out?
Here is a Parent Page example from The Hunger Games Wiki to give you an idea of what the page entails. Essentially, it's a guide for parents about the age range for different wikis.
Let me know if you have any questions! We are planning to start setting up the pages over the next week or so. Thanks so much!
- Hello, Ariana! Yes, we will get involved with the parent pages and I would be happy to help you fill it out. Is there a template for us to fill out? The example you've shown only seems to refer to the films, but like The Hunger Games, our wiki is also based around books. - Amyosaurus (profile|talk) 09:25, July 11, 2014 (UTC)
Awesome, thank you so much! Here is the template for the HDM Wiki. Let me know if you have ANY questions. Here is an example book parent page for The Fault in Our Stars as a simple guide. Feel free to make the parent page as short or long as you decide! Thanks so much! I'm happy to help you fill out anything as well. Best, Asnow89 @ (profile)•(talk) 23:26, July 17, 2014 (UTC)
French wiki Edit
My name's Coeurdegeai, and I'm a french contributor on Wikia. I created a wiki (in french) about His Dark Material, and I need help for the infoboxes. Could you help me, please ?
Thanks a lot (and I'm sorry, I don't speak very well english). This is my wiki's adress : http://fr.a-la-croisee-des-mondes.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_A_la_Crois%C3%A9e_des_Mondes
- Hello, Couerdegeai! I would be very happy to help you with the infoboxes for the French wiki. I will create some templates for you. You may have to correct errors, though, my French is rusty! - Amyosaurus (profile|talk) 12:16, June 4, 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Amy, the French HDM wiki has this morning been added to the interwiki links map. I have already updated our homepage with the new link (and alerted Courdegeal on the French wiki's main-page talk), but you will need to update the Italian and Brazilian-Portuguese main pages. I'm just off to alert Petronovitch to change the Russian homepage. — RobertATfm (talk) 12:26, June 18, 2015 (UTC)