Scoresby stays at a boarding house where he meets Victoria Lund and helps her with a matter of honour. The next day, Scoresby meets H. van Breda, a captain whose cargo is being held by Larsen Manganese. With the help of Iorek Byrnison, Scoresby defeats the men in the warehouse, including an old enemy, Pierre McConville. Lund and her now fiancé Lieutenant Haugland assist Scoresby and Byrnison in their escape.
As well as the short story, the book includes a few extras:
- Peril of the Pole, a board game mentioned in the story which is based on the Rally to the Pole race.
- A newspaper article written by Oskar Sigurdsson about the events of the story, painting Scoresby as a villain.
- Two pages of The Shipping World Yearbook, the book which Scoresby won with his balloon in a bet.
- Two letters written by Lyra Silvertongue, one to Tom and one to Dr. Polstead, about her dissertation.
- The submission slip for Lyra's dissertation.