35 (1962 — 1997)
|Also known as||
Head of the G.O.B.
Marisa Coulter (1962–1997) was the head of the General Oblation Board and a long-time agent of the Church before she defected. Her dæmon was a golden lion tamarin whose name is unknown to us. Her daughter was Lyra Silvertongue.
Affair with Lord AsrielEdit
Mrs Coulter was married to a politician named Edward Coulter, but had an affair with Lord Asriel which resulted in a baby girl; a girl who would be named Lyra Belacqua. Her husband found out about the affair after Lyra was born, and was killed by Lord Asriel in a duel. The child was then given by Lord Asriel to the scholars at Jordan College to raise.
Reunited with LyraEdit
In 1995, Mrs Coulter arrived at Jordan College where she met her daughter Lyra. Mrs Coulter invited Lyra to come and live with her, and the girl happily agreed, unaware that Mrs Coulter was her mother.
6 weeks later, when Mrs Coulter demanded complete obedience from her daughter, Lyra ran away.
Some weeks later, Mrs Coulter visted Bolvangar, the experimental station of the General Oblation Board which she founded. She saved Lyra and Pantalaimon from the intercision which was about to be performed on them.
Marisa Coulter had short black hair and black eyes.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the film The Golden Compass, Marisa Coulter is played by Nicole Kidman, who was initially reluctant to play a villain.
- In the BBC radio adaptation, she was portrayed by Emma Fielding.
- In the audiobook read by Philip Pullman, the role of Marisa Coulter was taken by Alison Dowling.
- Mrs. Coulter was named the third biggest villain in the Big Bad Read poll after Lord Voldemort and Sauron.
- Northern Lights
- The Golden Compass (film)
- The Golden Compass (video game)
- The Subtle Knife
- The Amber Spyglass